I am a first-generation American. When my family “made it” and moved from an apartment to a house, somewhere along the way we lost a treasure-trove of photographs of my parents as children, grandparents, cousins and important places relating to my family’s history. In my mind’s eye I can still see the photo of my father at the age of five, standing in the snow in St. Petersburg, Russia and wearing a fur coat and hat. My grandchildren will never see that photo, and when I think about it, my parents are not around to answer the many questions I wish I had asked them about their lives. My mission as a personal historian is to help my clients preserve the past and the present for the future.
The services offered by Mixed Media Memoirs include:
- Memoirs in book format—starting from scratch with interviews or based on your existing manuscript
- Video oral history memoirs
- Travel photography books
- Business and organization histories
What clients are saying about Leah
“My mother loved making her Mixed Media Memoir video—my present to her on her 80th birthday. She felt comfortable and relaxed. My sisters and all our children cherish their copies. Recently, my husband and I sat down to watch the video, 20 years after it was produced, and we felt as if she were in the living room with us.”
“You made this video of my late husband Dr. Jack Kaufmann, more than 15 years ago, and my son and I still enjoy watching it and hearing his heartbreaking and yet humorous tales about his childhood in Europe and his gradual acculturation to American ways, how he got into Medical School and his life here in the U.S.”
How it works — videos:
Oral History Memoirs
- An initial meeting to become acquainted is scheduled to discuss possible interview questions and topics—as well as locations for the video.
- Working with a professional videographer, Leah will spend several hours interviewing and recording. Family members are interviewed as requested and travel to locations may be required.
- A video incorporating photos, interviews with the subject and others and location shots is produced.
- The client reviews the video and may request changes.
- The client receives the revised video and gives approval.
- The video is delivered in a format according to client request: DVD, flash drive, cloud storage. DVDs are packaged attractively and copies are available.